Friday, February 7, 2020

HMT Gold biscuit watches

This was during 2013. It was a time when my love for HMT watches was blossoming and we used to spend our saturdays in HMT company showroom at Unity building. Mr. Bhagavan YS used to treat us like family and the showroom was my daughter's playground. His encouragement and knowledge really helped me as a collector and admirer of HMT watches. I was able to see these silent timekeepers in a different light all thanks to him. It was he who told us about the Utsav gem series watches (will talk about it some other time) and the elegance gold biscuit watches.
From the time we came to know about the watch we pestered him to get us the gold biscuit watches. My wife's birthday was fast approaching and I really wanted to gift her something special. I was scouring through shops and e-commerce websites. Mr Bhagwan knew what my wife wanted but I had no clue. Out of the blue, I got a call from him. He said that he has my wife's gift and that I should bring her along with me to collect it from him. I sensed the happiness in his voice but even after asking him many time he did not reveal it. So we went thinking it would be a watch in her name. I was sure it did not exist but with HMT you never know as HMT is full of surprises. So we went there confused, but to our pleasant surprise it was the elegance G06 watch aka the gold biscuit watch from HMT. The excitement of my wife knew no bounds. She is a cheerful person but the twinkle in her eye and her excitement on that day will forever be in my memory. We got the watch and pretty soon the happiness was shared with the entire family.

Now my search for the gents version G10 increased. I was able to track one in the Tumkur showeoom. So i travelled all the way only to be told that it wasn't there. My search continues to this day. If you come across a G10 for sale then please let me know.

A little bit more about the watch. HMT released these Elegance G10 watches in the 90s. G06 = Gold case and bracelet + .06 gram 18 krt fine gold plaque on the dial. This is the ladies variant. Gents variant is G10 = Gold case and bracelet + 1 gram gold plaque on the dial. These are quartz movement (calibre 2050) watches and have a 5 micron 23.5 k gold plating on the case and bracelet.Its water resistant and has a stainless steel watch back. The sapphire glass crystal is scratch resistant.This watch comes in a larger dimension for men and smaller dimension for ladies.

Another interesting thing about this watch is it's bracelet. This unique bracelet is made out of the scrap left after cutting metal plates as part of the watch making process.

The watch is unique, thus rare and collectible. If you get one grab it else let me know and I will pick it up.

G06 ( Ladies watch)







G10 (Gent's Watch)
(Pic courtesy Tarun Agarwal)


Thank you.
My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/hmtwatchcollector

No comments: