It all looked like a dream to us. Yes, the much awaited and much doubted HMT watch showcasing finally got organised on 18th January 2014.This was the first time in the history of HMT watches that such an event was organised for the fans of HMT watches. After continuous discussions with the HMT leadership for the last couple of months we were finally able to organize this event.
The day began with HMT lovers bubbling with enthusiasm reaching the HMT Bhavan showroom (our assembling point). We had a quick round of introduction and as we shook each other’s hands, our eyes (as always) checked the wrists of every person we met. Every glance on one’s wrist would end up with a compliment and a mental note was made of a new addition to our never ending wish-list of HMTwatches. We quickly browsed the watches displayed in the showroom and left for our venue in Jalahalli.
HMT watch fans outside the HMT bhavan showroom Jalahalli
We reached the venue in good time and were received warmly by the HMT staff. All of us were quite excited to see so many HMT watches under one roof. While we were the first ones to arrive other HMT watch fans kept on trickling as we browsed through the various showcases displaying the watches.
HMT watch Fan's browsing the watches displayed in the showcasing
HMT staff had very thoughtfully segregated the watches in different showcases. Watches from different categories were displayed separately.
Tennemax and the analog-digital watches
Quartz watches for ladies and gents– This included the HMT Roman series moon phase and chronograph watches and the famous Chandan watch (it has a sandalwood bezel)
Handwinding and automatic ladies and gents watches – Pocket watch, excel,suraj, roman automatic, shakti series, etc were displayed
Zap and pace quartz watches – Zap watches are kid’s watches that have Disney cartoon characters displayed on the dial/case. Pace and Sundar watches were made keeping the teenage customers in mind. These came in attractive colours and were quite durable.
Astra series – The digital chronograph watches from HMT
HMT Table and alarm clocks – This was a surprise for a lot of people who never knew that HMT made table and alarm clocks.
All of us got the HMT price lists and latest catalogue of watches along with the New Year calendar.HMT fans shared their suggestions, ideas and concerns with the HMT marketing leadership. We also got an overview of the HMT watches and its evolution. This was the first time HMT leadership and fans got a common platform to share their ideas and concerns and the opportunity was utilized well.
HMT Overiview session in progress
Below are some of the points that we discussed and key decisions that were made on the day:
- 1. For some of the rare watches like HMT Kohinoor electric blue dial, excel etc HMT team agreed to consider the idea of producing a batch exclusively for us if we have an order of 100 watches. We will initiate the process of confirmation with the HMT fans soon on our page.
- 2. The marketing team suggested that they can share the regular updates on product launches, discount sales etc directly by creating an email group. We will have to collate and share our email-ids with them for this initiative.
- 3. We had more than 30 HMT fans visiting this watch showcasing that got organised for a couple of hours only and thus encouraged by the response a decision was taken to organize another showcasing event in the coming few months where a much higher number of watches will be displayed.
- 4. We gave a list of watches that we wanted along with our names and contact numbers and HMT assured us that the same will be arranged for us. We were also given an email id where we could drop an email with our wish-list and we were assured that the team will help us in getting the watches we want.
- 5. We requested the HMT team to arrange a factory visit to the watch factory in Bangalore to observe how automatic watches are made. HMT team assured that they will try and get this arranged for us in near future.
- 6. A lot of us were keen on understanding the HMT mechanical and automatic watch movement. Thus, we requested the HMT team to organize a one/two day crash course aimed at providing an insight on this subject. We will initiate the process of enrolling interested people on our page and will share it with the concerned team in HMT to organise it at the earliest.
- 7. We were asked by HMT marketing team to buy watches from HMT showrooms and authorized dealers only at the company price with the proper bill and guarantee card. We were given the price-list as well so that we would know the prices of watches we want. We were asked to report against any individuals and dealers who are selling watches without documentation and at prices higher than the company’s sales price. We were assured that proper action will be taken against them.
The group photo
At around 1 pm we proceeded towards the HMT factory outlet. One of the most noteworthy watches that were bought from the showroom was an HMT Sujata hand winding watch. This watch was the first ladies mechanical watch from HMT and it came in golden and white dial variants, along with HMT prabha, skeleton steel automatic watches etc.
HMT Watch Factory, Bangalore
HMT Watches factory outlet, Bangalore
We then moved to the CSD Jalahalli showroom to continue our shopping spree and bought watches like Indra, mahaveer, ankit, amit etc.
HMT Watches CSD , Jalahalli outlet
A quick view at the watches inside the store
Once we were done with our shopping we exchanged courtesies and most of us called it a day. A bunch of us decided to break for lunch at Kamat restaurant next to the Jalahalli showroom. As we enjoyed the lunch in the company of our friends personal experiences and stories of HMT watches added flavor to our meal.
Jaideep and Karthik who had come down from Chennai for this event wanted to continue with their shopping and I was delighted to accompany them. Me and my friend Rahul took them to the city market area where I helped them in purchasing watch straps, watch repair equipment etc. I had identified some shops that kept some stock of old HMT watches and from there I bought myself a Gaurav mechanical watch while Karthik bought himself a Blue dial Trisul and Arun handwinding watches. It was already 8 pm when we decided to conclude the day with a promise to meet again we left for our respective destinations.
To conclude, we would like to thank the entire team at HMT Bangalore specially the marketing and after sales team for showing faith in us and organizing this event. Trust me friends it was not easy and till the last moment uncertainty shadowed this event and had it not been for the passionate team at HMT Bangalore this event would have never happened.
I would like to request each one of you HMT watch lovers, to act as a brand ambassador of these great watches and spread the word far and wide. It’s important that we buy original HMT watches from authorized HMT dealers to ensure that the company gets much needed revenue to ensure its survival. Trust me its each one of us that can make it happen for HMT watches.