Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Story of an HMT Kailash Automatic


On a windy Saturday afternoon I was in the HMT unity building showroom in Bangalore. It was drizzling outside and the showroom was visited by only a few customers. I had selected an HMT Kailash sometime back from the Sri Lakshmi times shop which is opposite to the HMT showroom and had asked the proprietor to change the strap. While he was changing the strap I thought of catching up with my friends in the HMT showroom. We were busy discussing some events of the day when an old man in his late 70s entered the showroom. He was wearing traditional south Indian clothes (i.e. a white veshti aka Dhoti and shirt). He was quite old and was walking with the support of the auto rickshaw driver in who’s vehicle he had come to the showroom. He told us that he had come from a village in Karnataka state and was looking for an HMT automatic watch. There were a few NASL and ADSL automatic watches in the showroom but he was looking for the older and relatively cheaper models. The showroom sales staff suggested him the low cost quartz models but he rejected all of them. He said that he has been wearing an automatic watch all his life. He had lost his watch a few days back and wanted to replace it with a new one. He had traveled a long distance from his village on a rickety bus and then on an auto just to get an HMT automatic watch.

He was asked to visit Sri Lakshmi times to check on the stock of automatic watches on display. So off he went to Lakshmi time and after 15-20 minutes the proprietor from Lakshmi times called me and informed that his customer was very keen on the Kailash watch I had chosen sometime back and wanted to purchase it. I was in a dilemma as the Kailash watch I had chosen was quite a rare model and I was looking for the same for quite some time. I had another but that was a different model and the one this old fan of HMT had selected was a very rare piece.

I rushed to the showroom and the saw the watch on the old man’s wrinkled wrist. He had a gleam in his eyes and a smile on his lips. His expressions echoed that he had achieved what he had aimed for the day and that his trip to Bangalore was worth every bit of it. Me and the proprietor looked at each other and reached a silent agreement. I slipped back to the HMT showroom to see the oldest HMT fan I had ever met hop back into his auto rickshaw with an HMT Kailash on his wrist…my HMT Kailash….

HMT Kailash that I own and is a part of my collection


HMT Kailash that i had chosen which the old gentleman ultimately bought 


8 comments:

Kumar Sadashivan said...

Nice Gesture Prashant!!

juhi pandey said...

nice

Anonymous said...

Thats a good one

Ashish Tarte said...

Very nice story..

Shaunak said...

very nice gesture. a true HMT fan - reliable.

Anand said...

Good one. I'm sure you still feel good for letting the gentleman have the watch!

Prashant Pandey said...

Yes I am and shall always be happy for him. I got a similar watch a few months back, will share that experience in a blog soon.

Rajiv R said...

Just brought a kailash after reading your blog....